Waking up in the morning and enjoying this delicious breakfast cake—made with corn grits and oats and topped with a sweet streusel—is just what you need to get your day going.
- ½ cup oat flour (Or blend your own with Old Fashioned Oats)
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup Nature’s Path Organic Grits
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup nondairy milk
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 375F and lightly oil an 8×8-inch square cake pan.
- To make the streusel topping, combine the oat flour and brown sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle in the coconut oil and use a fork to combine and break the mixture into crumbs. Stir in the pecans. Set aside.
- To make the cake, stir together the flax meal and water in a small bowl and set aside to gel.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the grits, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut oil over low heat until melted. Once melted, turn off heat and whisk in the nondairy milk, maple syrup and flax mixture. Pour into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Crumble the streusel over top. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting into squares. Serve each square with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Note: If you don’t have (or can’t find) oat flour, simply blend rolled oats in a blender until they turn into flour.